My first software development project of 2020 is to become proficient in developing plugins for Minecraft and subsequently develop a minigame that will be the focus of our Extra Life marathon day fundraiser for Children’s Miracle Network Hospital.
If you, or someone you know, might want to join me in this project, please drop me a note. Of course, those who contribute to the fundraiser, or become a Patreon supporter (coming soon), might have some fun in extra special ways.
- Updated VirtualBox on my Windows 10 desktop system
- Downloaded RHEL 8.1 ISO from Red Hat Developer
- Register MyDev system for updates
- Created MyDev virtual server
- Installed updates, kernel-devel, and Development Tools group packages
- Installed RH Java OpenJDK versions 8 and 11
- Installed CodeReady Linux Builder and EPEL repos, and dkms package
- Installed VB Extension Pack, and VB Guest Additions
- Troubleshoot VB config until cut-and-paste and full screen video works
- Downloaded and installed Eclipse
- Downloaded and installed IntelliJ IDEA community edition
- Downloaded and built Spigot Minecraft server jar, version 1.15.1
- Created Minecraft dev/test architecture
- Multiple server directories
- Each with start and stop scripts using screen for detached sessions
- Created initial Test-Sever
- Configured systemd user service to start Minecraft servers at boot
- Troubleshot systemd until Minecraft server started on reboot
- Opened host firewall for Minecraft TCP ports 25565-25570
- Added Test-Server to desktop Minecraft client and tested it.
Have a cold one, my friend; because you’ve earned it.–Stumpy Nubs